War on Waste
The ABC’s War on Waste series two commenced Tuesday, 24 July.
Inner West Council has adopted a vision of becoming a zero waste community – and our residents can help.
Use these Council resources, and learn how:
- Avoid food waste
- Avoid single use plastics
- Join with others working towards a zero waste future
- Recycle right and recycle clean:
Recycling in the Inner West
What goes in your recycling bin?
Where does your recycling go?
Tricky waste items in the Inner West
What to do with e-Waste and chemicals?
A-Z of what goes where
Food and organic waste in the Inner West
Inner West Council has a vision to become a zero waste community and is committed to working to reduce waste sent to landfill. A priority area is focusing on food waste which currently makes up 37% of the average garbage bin in the Inner West. A number of services and initiatives are available right now for residents including:
- a fortnightly green bin collection for garden organics for all IWC residents
- home composting support for all IWC residents – Compost Revolution
- community composting in units, parks and community gardens at a number of locations
- composting workshops in schools
- food collection services in apartments in the Leichhardt Service Area (5200 units participate in this service)
- a Food and Garden Organics Trial with 1,000 properties in the suburb of Marrickville
Council has started a review into the kerbside services for food and garden organics to decide the best options to suit the inner city urban environment.
Top zero waste tips:
- Make one day a week leftover day to reduce your food waste. Cook creatively with what you have left in the fridge, freezer and pantry.
- Bring your bottles and cans to a Return and Earn location to get 10c deposit back. There is a vending machine at Addison Road Community Centre, a collection depot run by local group CitizenBlue or various over the counter locations in the area.
- Say no to single use plastic. Start with straws, plastic bags or take away containers and try a different item every month. There are many reusable items that you can use instead, get inspiration from Plastic free July
- Join a local waste group like Boomerang bags Inner West, Plastic wise inner west, War on waste Marrickville and find further waste campaigns in the Directory of Inspiration
- Shop at local organisations that fight the waste war already, e.g. Reverse Garbage, The Bower and second hand shops.
Send any tricky waste questions to email@example.com and we will be happy to assist.