Unregistered vehicles

Council receives over 3,000 reports of unregistered vehicles each year.

Vehicles that have been parked on a public street and which have not moved for a period of 60 days or more may be unregistered.

Surrender your vehicle to Council for free

  • Council can arrange the disposal of unwanted motor vehicles at no cost to Inner West Council residents
  • An authority form must be completed by the owner(s) of the vehicle before Council can arrange vehicle removal. A blank copy of the form is available at the bottom of this page
  • Residents can submit a completed authority form to Council via email: council@innerwest.nsw.gov.au
  • The original registration papers or number plate surrender receipt must also be produced with the authority form. If accepted by Council, the vehicle will generally be removed within 5 working days

How to report an unregistered vehicle

  • Only vehicles with expired or no registration can be reported. You can carry out a free vehicle registration check online through Service NSW
  • Provide exact details of vehicle and how long it has been parked at the location
  • Ensure reported vehicle is on public land and not on private property
  • Ensure the vehicle is not already displaying an unregistered vehicle sticker

Report an unregistered vehicle

What happens next?

Council's Ranger Services team will:

  • Check whether the vehicle is registered and/or stolen
  • Attempt to contact the last known owner to move the vehicle
  • Regularly monitor and assess the vehicle until contact is made with the owner
  • May impound and/or remove the vehicle

The investigation and impounding/removal process can take up to 60 business days for the whole process.

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful50.00% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful50.00% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 29 Apr 2021