Exercise physiology

An exercise physiologist specialises in exercise prescription and rehabilitation using scientific evidence-based approaches. An exercise physiologist can provide:

  • expert exercise advice; and
  • lifestyle strategies to manage chronic illness, rehabilitate chronic pain and injuries, enhance weight loss, and to improve fitness and general well-being.

Who might need an exercise physiologist?

If you need rehabilitation help an exercise physiologist could help with the following injuries and conditions:

  • Lower back and neck pain
  • Shoulder pain and rotator cuff injuries
  • Hip and sacroiliac pain
  • Knee pain
  • Conditions due to poor posture and faulty muscle activation
  • Osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis
  • Previous orthopaedic surgery

An exercise physiologist can help you to prevent and manage lifestyle related health conditions using exercise, such as:

  • High blood pressure and high cholesterol
  • Pre-diabetes and type-2 diabetes
  • Polycystic ovarian syndrome
  • Cardiovascular and respiratory disease

Personal training vs Exercise physiologist

An exercise physiologist is a recognised allied health professional who is qualified to provide exercise rehabilitation for people with complex health needs or people who require expert support and advice.

All exercise physiologists must have a four year university degree and extensive practical experience in order to be accredited with Exercise and Sports Science Australia.

Rebates can be available for these services from Medicare and all major private health funds.

What can i expect?

In a first session an exercise physiologist will:

  • assess your fitness, posture, biomechanics, lifestyle habits, and health history
  • work together with you to design a personalised plan.


Rebates can be available for exercise physiology services from the following organisations:

Rebates can be available via referral from your General Practitioner if you have a chronic health condition or complex health needs. See your General Practitioner to enquire if you are eligible.
Private health:
Rebates can be available from all major private health funds depending on your level of cover. Ring your provider to enquire how much you are eligible to receive and what level of cover is required.
Department of Veterans Affairs:
Rebates can be available if you are a registered veteran via referral from our General Practitioner. See your General Practitioner to enquire if you are eligible.
Our exercise physiologists are WorkCover registered and can provide rehabilitation for occupation injuries and work conditioning programs. See your Nominated Treating Doctor to enquire as to whether exercise physiology will be useful for your work injury.


Find the Exercise Physiologist Rates at our Prices and Memberships page

Our exercise physiologist - James Shute

Call to organise an appointment on 0449 703 967.

Read about James Shute

Rate this page

  • Rate as The content was useful0% The content was useful votes
  • Rate as The content was not useful100.00% The content was not useful votes

Thanks for your feedback. We will use this data to improve the content of this page.

Page last updated: 18 Mar 2019