Food waste recycling guide
This information applies only to residents of unit blocks in the former Leichhardt Council area, i.e. Annandale, Balmain, Birchgrove, Lilyfield, Leichhardt and Rozelle.
Recycling your food waste is easy. It minimises waste being sent to landfill and creating greenhouse gases and helps create nutrient rich commercial fertiliser products.
How do I use the food waste service?
Use only the compostable (corn starch) bag to line your kitchen bench top bin.
Place all your food waste including meat / fish into your kitchen bench top bin (avoid large bones)
Once full, tie a knot in the top of the liner and place it into your food organics bin with the maroon lid (this will be located in your bin bay area or ask your Body Corporate or Strata Manager)
The food waste organics bin with the maroon lid is to be placed at the kerb for collection EACH WEEK at the same time as the garbage bins for your unit block.
The food waste organics bin is collected by a seperate truck to the garbage bin.
What can I put in my kitchen bench top bin?
All of your food waste. The food waste collection service takes any type of food, even meats! That is the additional benefit of the collection.
- Meat, chicken & fish including delicatessen
- Dairy products
- Bakery & cereals, e.g. bread, rice and pasta
- Coffee grinds & tea bags, soiled paper towels, serviettes & hair
- Fruit & vegetables
What can’t I put in my kitchen bench top bin?
- No recyclable items (glass/plastic bottles & containers, cans - place these in your yellow lid recycling bin; CLEAN cardboard/paper etc - place these in your blue lid recycling bin)
- No *ordinary plastic bags, plastic wrapping or meat trays (*Council issued compostable bags only)
- No garden organics (Council provides a seperate garden bin or tied and bundled collection for garden materials)
- No textile material (reuse, place in your compost / worm farm if made from a natural fibre or place in the red lid garbage bin)
- Large bones
Handy hints for using your kitchen bench top bin
You could keep the kitchen bench top in the refrigerator or under the bench in a cupboard if you don’t want to keep your kitchen tidy on the bench top.
- Keep meat/fish scraps sealed in a container in the refrigerator until the night before collection to avoid odours.
- Wrap small sharp bones/prawn shells in newspaper to protect the compostable liner from tearing.
- To clean your kitchen bench top bin, soak in washing up water.
- Wash the 240L food bins out regulary.
- Add some bicarbonate soda to the bottom of your bins to absorb liquids and any odours.
How to order a food bin
- If your unit needs a free kitchen benchtop bin or a compostable bag pack, contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000 or order online.
YOUR SAY INNER WEST
Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.
CONNECT WITH US
SERVICES IN YOUR AREA
Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: