Food waste

Around 40% of the average household garbage bin is filled with wasted food every week. This equates to throwing away over $1000 per household per year.

This wasted food breaks down in our landfills, together with other organic materials, it becomes the main contributor to the generation of methane – a greenhouse gas 25 times more potent than carbon dioxide.

Wasting food also wastes the energy, water and natural resources used to grow, package, transport and market that food.

Inner West Council supports the Love Food, Hate Waste program, which aims to reduce the amount of food waste households and businesses generate.

Visit the Love Food Hate Waste website to find resources, tips and recipes that will help you avoid wasting food.

Composting and worm farming

Composting and worm farming are natural recycling systems whereby organic food waste is broken down into smaller nutrients. The organic resources released in the waste can also improve soil health and avoid the use of chemical fertilizers in your garden.

Both composting and worm farming are easy and important ways to give nutrients back to your soil and reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.

Visit the composting and worm farming page for more information about these systems and which is right for you.

Food waste recycling service for units (former Leichhardt Council area)

This information applies only to residents of unit blocks in the former Leichhardt Council area, i.e. Annandale, Balmain, Birchgrove, Lilyfield, Leichhardt and Rozelle.

If you live in a unit block that shares garbage bins, your unit block can swap one or more garbage bins for food waste bins (maroon lid). Council provides free kitchen benchtop bins and compostable bag packs to make food waste recycling easy.

What do I need to do to get started?

Step 1

Check to see if your unit block has a shared garbage bin room or bin bay and if a mobile food bin is already available. Talk with your body corporate/strata or building manager or others in your unit block about how to use the food waste recycling service, and whether there are kitchen benchtop bins or bags available at the unit complex.

If your unit block already has a mobile food bin and can provide you with a kitchen bench top bin and bags, you are ready to start recycling your food. Visit the step-by-step Food Waste Recycling Guide to get started.

If you require a kitchen bench top bins and bags see Step 2 to order.

If your unit block shares garbage bins but does not yet have a mobile food bin, please contact your body corporate/strata or building manager. Let them know you would like the complex to have a mobile food waste recycling bin, and ask them to contact Council's Resource Recovery and Waste Management Officer on 9367 9227 to discuss options for your complex.

Step 2

If your unit needs a free kitchen benchtop bin or a compostable bag pack, contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000 or order online.

Council also delivers these compostable bag packs every quarter throughout the year to each unit block for all units. Please note that the bins and bags belong to the unit, and should be left on the premises if you leave so that incoming residents can start food waste recycling when they move in.

Order online

Step 3:

See our step-by-step Food Waste Recycling Guide to start recycling your food waste.


Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: