Green waste/garden organics

Please select your suburb for information about your service:

Inner West Council – Marrickville

Inner West Council provides a fortnightly collection service for green waste (green-lidded bin). Pick up hours are generally between 5am to 1pm on collection days.

Houses and units are provided with a 240 litre green waste bin or a 140 litre green waste bin.

Additional bins may be provided free of charge – request a bin online or call the Petersham Customer Service Centre on 02 9392 5000.

What goes in my green waste bin?

  • Grass clippings
  • Leaves
  • Twigs and small branches
  • Flowers and excess pruning material

What does not go in my green waste bin?

  • Plastic bags
  • Soil or dirt
  • Rocks
  • Tree stumps
  • Any food materials, including fruits and herbs
  • Building materials
  • Recycling materials
  • Garbage

Visit the A-Z: What goes where? page for help on what to do with waste that cannot go into your bins.

Branches – bundled and tied

If you have tree branches that don't fit in the green waste bin, book a free branches (bundled and tied) collection.

Important collection information

  • Ensure that bins are out the night before and are returned to your property within 24 hours of collection.
  • Bins left on the road or footpath can go missing during collection day and pose a risk for pedestrians and disrupt traffic. Be a good neighbour and bring your bins in.
  • The maximum weight allowance for a 140 litre bin (the smaller type) is 50kg. The maximum weight for a 240 litre bin is 70kg.
  • Do not overfill your bin, as this can result in litter being blown out. Make sure that the bin lid can be shut. Overflowing bins will not be collected.

Reporting a lost or stolen bin?

Visit the missing, stolen or damaged bins page for details.

Don't know your collection day?

Visit the find your collection day page.

Where does my green waste go when collected?

After your recycling bin has been emptied, Council's drivers take the contents to Rockdale Transfer Station where it is turned into mulch and resold to the public and landscape contractors.


Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: