WestConnex Stage 2 New M5 - Beverley Hills to St Peters
Stage two of WestConnex includes:
- Twin 9km tunnels
To run underground from Kingsgrove to St Peters, passing beneath Arncliffe under the Princes Highway before emerging at Campbell Street.
- A traffic interchange
To be located at St Peters, next to Sydney Park, feeding traffic into Edgeware and Enmore Roads and King Street.
- Road widening
Widening of Campbell Street and Euston Road.
What is Council doing?
- Working to reduce the traffic impacts on King Street, Princes Highway and Sydney Park Road, with a commitment from the State Government to collaborate with us.
- Making sure there is improved traffic modelling and impacts on local streets are fully considered.
- Obtaining a commitment from the State Government to fully fund the upgrade of Camdenville Park in line with Council’s adopted Master Plan once this stage is completed.
- Working to get an improved design for the St Peters interchange, with more of it built underground.
All Sydney road tunnels have management plans that involve 24-hour-a-day monitoring of tunnel air quality to ensure they are complying with independent pre-determined guidelines for in-tunnel air quality.
Under the Conditions of Approval for the New M5:
- Local (ambient) air quality will be monitored for at least 12 months before the tunnel opens to traffic and for at least two years after opening;
- Air quality inside the road tunnels will be monitored to ensure strict standards are met; and
- Monitoring results are publicly available and independently audited.
In 2017, Sydney Motorway Corporation (SMC) established the Air Quality Community Consultative Committee (AQCCC) for the New M5 (Stage 2) project. The AQCCC is made up on representatives from the proponent, tunnel operator, councils and community members. For further information on the New M5 AQCCC including terms of reference and minutes of meetings, refer to SMC's website.
Every effort is made to keep this list up to date. However, you may like to check the WestConnex website.
You can find up to date notifications of works associated with Stage 2 at the WestConnex website.
Council staff met with Roads & Maritime Services regarding King Street Gateway Project (WestConnex New M5). To view the minutes click on the link below;
27 April 2017 Inner West Council and Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) (PDF 188.5KB)