Frequently asked questions about your new council

Why were Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville councils amalgamated?

Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville councils were merged by the NSW State Government under their reform program for councils. The new, larger council was considered by the State Government to be in the best interests of inner west residents.

What is the new council called?

The new council is known as Inner West Council.

When did the new council commence?

The new Inner West Council was proclaimed on 12 May 2016.

How was the name of our new council chosen?

The name for Inner West Council was specified by the State Government in the proclamation. There is potential for new councils to change their names at a later date.

Inner West Council map

What are the boundaries of the new council?

Inner West Council incorporates the former local government areas of Marrickville, Leichhardt and Ashfield. The new council has a population of 185,000 people and covers 36km²

Suburbs in the new local government area include: Annandale, Ashfield, Balmain (including Balmain East), Birchgrove, Dobroyd Point, Dulwich Hill, Enmore, Haberfield, Leichhardt, Lewisham, Lilyfield, Marrickville, Petersham, Rozelle, Stanmore, St Peters, Summer Hill, Sydenham, Tempe and parts of: Ashbury, Camperdown, Croydon, Croydon Park, Hurlstone Park and Newtown.

How is Inner West Council run?

Following council elections on Saturday 9 September 2017, Inner West Council will have 15 councillors and will be divided in to 5 wards (3 councillors per ward). The councillors select a mayor and a deputy mayor from amongst their numbers by a majority vote.

Prior to the elections, Richard Pearson was the Administrator of Inner West Council. He was appointed by the State Government following amalgamations and was legally designated to perform the full functions of the council and mayor – including holding meetings, making decisions on Council matters, and representing Council at formal events.

Rik Hart was appointed as Interim General Manager of Inner West Council in September 2016. Mr Hart is responsible for the day-to-day running of the new council through this period of change. He will also be responsible for advising the governing body of Council and implementing decisions.

When and where are Council meetings held?

A schedule of upcoming meetings is available on the Council Meetings page of this website.

How will Inner West Council continue to communicate and engage with residents?

Inner West Council will continue to engage frequently with residents, ratepayers and businesses and in planning for the future. We will also engage the community, stakeholders and other partners about the vision and direction for the new council.

Visit the Your Say Inner West website for more information on how to have your say.

Services and Programs

Will services change under the new council?

Services will continue as usual. Bins will be collected on the same day, rates should be paid in the same way – and any other service will remain too. In the coming months, the Inner West Council will be reviewing its full range of services to ensure they are efficient, effective and meet the needs of our larger community. Until then, services remain unchanged.

What do you mean by ‘services’ provided by councils?

‘Services’ refers to everything from childcare, pools, libraries, waste collection, to community services, rate collection, to parking permits and more. Essentially any service you have come to expect from your council.


Will my rates change under the new council?

Under the State Government’s rate protection commitment, residents of the new council will remain on the same rate path they were on previously. This means residents will pay no more for their rates than they would have under their old council for at least four years.

How do I pay my rates with the new council?

You can continue to pay your rates in the same way as you’ve always done. You can now also pay your rates at any of the three customer service centres at Ashfield, Leichhardt and Petersham.

I pay my rates by cheque. Who do I make the cheque out to?

You can make the cheque out to Inner West Council.

Environmental Planning, Development Applications and other permits

Will there be changes to the LEP and DCP for each local government area? If so, when will these changes take effect?

There will be no immediate changes to the LEP and DCP for each former local government area and they remain in place until changed.

I recently lodged an application or request for service with Ashfield / Leichhardt / Marrickville Council. Will this be impacted?

Any application or request for service that was lodged with the former Councils prior to the creation of the new council will be actioned as per standard response times indicated to you at the time of lodgement. Any enquiries relating to an application or request for a service lodged before the creation of the new council should be made to the respective Customer Service Centre.

I have a permit (e.g. parking, footway license, hoarding, etc.) issued by Ashfield / Leichhardt / Marrickville Council. Is this still valid?

All permits or licences issued by Ashfield, Leichhardt and Marrickville councils remain valid until the expiry date of the permits or licence.

Council contact and customer service centres

How do I contact Inner West Council?

You can email Council at council@innerwest.nsw.gov.au or call 9392 5000.

The customer service centres in Ashfield, Leichhardt and Petersham are open between the hours of 8:30am – 5:00pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays):

  • Ashfield: 260 Liverpool Road, Ashfield NSW
  • Leichhardt: 7-15 Wetherill Street, Leichhardt NSW
  • Petersham: 2-14 Fisher Street, Petersham NSW

Will you be keeping the customer service centres in Ashfield, Leichhardt and Petersham?

There are no plans to change customer service centres at this time.


Your Say Inner West website
The community engagement hub where you can get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: