Statement of Vision and Priorities
Council’s Statement of Vision and Priorities will guide Council until a single Community Strategic Plan is developed for the inner west. The Statement was created over a three month period which included extensive community and staff input.
The vision and priorities in the Statement will be used in the development of the Community Strategic Plan (CSP). Work on the CSP will begin in 2017, and the community will be invited to contribute. The CSP will not be finalised until after the local government elections in September 2017.
Download the Statement of Vision and Priorities (PDF 1.9MB)
What's in the Statement?
"We are Inner West, land of the Gadigal and Wangal peoples, whose rich cultures, heritage and history we acknowledge and respect. Together we are an inclusive, passionate, creative, vibrant community united in our desire to build a great future for all who live and do business here."
Eight high level priorities emerged through the engagement process:
Priority 1: Planning and development
Priority 2: Transport
Priority 3: Social vitality, creativity, quality of life
Priority 4: Sustainability and environment
Priority 5: One council
Priority 6: Local business and industry
Priority 7: Advocacy for our community
Priority 8: Local democracy
About the engagement process
Council implemented a rigorous community engagement program from September to November 2016 to develop the Statement, ensuring representation consistent with the demographics of the inner west.
The community and staff were asked for their vision of the “best inner west” five years into the future, what they thought the key priority areas should be for Council over the next 12 to 18 months, and what the key challenges were for the inner west.
More than 1,700 people participated across a range of face-to-face and online methods, including:
- A community engagement forum held in September at Ashfield Town Hall
- Focus groups with members of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander (ATSI), Youth and Access communities
- Stalls and surveys at festivals and events in Ashfield, Summer Hill, Marrickville and Leichhardt
- A survey on Council’s online engagement hub, Your Say Inner West
- A Community Satisfaction Survey facilitated by Micromex Research
- Staff engagement through an online and paper-based survey
- A workshop with our Local Representation Advisory Committee
- Review by ATSI meeting participants held in November at Leichhardt Town Hall
A more detailed overview of the engagement process is available in the Statement of Vision and Priorities Engagement Report.
Download the Statement of Vision and Priorities Engagement Report (PDF 2.3MB)
The draft Statement was endorsed for review by the community at a Council meeting on 6 December 2016. The community was invited to review the draft Statement on Your Say Inner West from 12 December 2016 until 8 February 2017.
The feedback was used to develop a final Statement of Vision and Priorities, which was endorsed by Council in March 2017.