Level 2 water restrictions start 10 December 2019
Level 2 water restrictions for residents and businesses will commence on 10 December 2019.
Under the new Level 2 water restrictions:
- gardens can only be watered before 10am or after 4pm with a watering can or bucket
- smart and drip irrigation systems may only be used for 15 minutes before 10am or after 4pm
the use of unattended hoses is no longer permitted
- hosing of hard surfaces is not permitted, unless in an emergency
- cars can only be washed with a bucket or at a commercial car wash
- a permit is required before filling a pool of any size.
Fines of $220 will apply for residents and $550 for businesses who don’t follow the restrictions.
Businesses who use outdoor water will need to apply for an exemption. If a business received a permit under the previous level of restrictions, they’ll need to contact Sydney Water to confirm it’s still valid.
The Level 2 restrictions are expected to save around 78.5 gigalitres of water per year, about 30,000 Olympic pools.
Find out more about Level 2 water restrictions at the Sydney Water website