The Lot at 67-73 Lords Road comprises 6% of the available industrial land in Leichhardt.
The retention of industrial, employment producing land within easy reach of the city is critical.
The State Government has appointed the Joint Regional Planning Panel as the planning authority for a planning proposal to rezone the land from Light Industrial to Medium Density Residential.
Lords Road Public Meeting
On Tuesday 7 February 6:30pm, Council held a public meeting at Leichhardt Town Hall for residents about the Planning Proposal at 67-73 Lords Road Leichhardt.
Council strongly objects to this proposal and has made a submission against it. The meeting gave residents an opportunity to discuss their concerns.
You can view a copy of the presentation given to residents here. (PDF 1.3MB)
For further information please contact Svetlana Kotevska on 9367 9232 or Svetlana.Kotevska@innerwest.nsw.gov.au.
67 - 73 Lords Road Planning Proposal on Exhibition
The State Government has determined to exhibit a Planning Proposal to rezone 67 - 73 Lords Road Leichhardt.
The application is to rezone the subject site from IN2 Light Industrial to R3 Medium Density Residential and increase the FSR from 1:1 to 2.4:1.
Inner West Council does not support the rezoning and will be making a submission against the application.
Inner West Council has also made a strong request to the NSW Department of Planning and Environment that the public exhibition period for the Planning Proposal should be extended to give the local community extra time to consider and make submissions on the Planning Proposal.
The public exhibition was due to finish on 21 December, but now as a result of the Council’s intervention the exhibition period has been extended to 31 January 2017.
If you intend to make a submission to the Sydney Central Planning Panel / NSW Department of Planning and Environment you can view the planning proposal and exhibited documents at: http://www.planningpanels.nsw.gov.au/OnExhibition/tabid/112/ctl/view/JRPP_ID/2756/mid/534/language/en-US/Default.aspx
At the Council Meeting of 6 December 2016, Council resolved the following:
C1216 Item 6 67 - 73 Lords Road, Leichhardt - Planning Proposal Public Exhibition The Administrator determined that Council:
1. Note that the Planning Proposal to rezone 67-73 Lords Road, Leichhardt from IN2 Light Industrial to R3 Medium Density Residential and increase the maximum permissible floor space ratio (FSR) from 1:1 to 2.4:1 has been placed on public exhibition by the (SCPP);
2. Endorse the attached submission (Attachment 3) (PDF 34.3MB) which strongly objects to the Planning Proposal and recommends that the SCPP not support the proposal;
3. Requests the SCPP to extend the public exhibition of the Planning Proposal by a further 28 days given the timing of the exhibition period;
4. Request the Sydney Central Planning Panel as relevant planning authority holds a hearing on the issues raised in this submission under section 57(5) of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 No 203; and
5. Hold a public meeting early in 2017 to discuss the Proposal.
Council Fighting Imprudent Lords Road Rezoning
Lords Road Timeline
- Aug 2014: Leichhardt Council resolved to not support the planning proposal
- Sep 2014: Proponent lodged Planning Proposal with Department of Planning and Environment (DoPE) for PreGateway Review
- Oct 2015: Leichhardt Council made a submission to DoPE opposing the Pre Gateway Review
- Dec 2015: Joint Regional Planning Panel (JRPP) decided 3 to 2 to support a recommendation to proceed to Gateway
- Feb 2016: DoPE advised Leichhardt Council of decision and asked if Council wanted to be the Relevant Planning Authority (RPA)
- 23 Feb 2016: Leichhardt Council declined to be RPA
- 23 May 2016: The JRPP was appointed as the RPA
- 14 Jul 2016: The Gateway Determination was signed
- 20 Jul 2016: Inner West Council received notice of the Gateway determination
- 22 Jul 2016: Inner West Council advised the Department of Planning and Environment that it would request a Post Gateway Review
- 24 Aug 2016: Inner West Council lodged a formal Request for Gateway Review Application
- 13 Sep 2016: Inner West Council Council received formal notice from the DoPE that they would not accept the application as Council was not the relevant planning authority.
- 31 Oct 2016: DoPE contacted Inner West Council Council requested details as to notification area for the exhibition.
- 9 Nov 2016: Parramatta Road Urban Transformation Strategy released, supporting rezoning from industrial to residential.
- 15 Nov 2016: Lords Road Planning Proposal placed on public exhibition.
- 7 Feb 2017: Public Meeting to allow residents to discuss the proposal.