Inner West Council provides a weekly kerbside collection service for household waste that cannot be recycled.
Pick up hours are generally between 5am to 1pm on collection days. Evening services are also provided in some suburbs.
- Houses are provided with a red-lidded bin collected weekly.
- Units are provided with a large 240 litre red-lidded bin collected weekly. Each bin is shared between units.
What goes in my garbage bin?
- General rubbish
- Food scraps
- Expanded polystyrene or styrofoam
- Dirty pizza boxes
- Non-recyclables. e.g. mixed foil and plastic packaging, such as chip packets
- Broken ceramics, crockery, Pyrex, mirrors – ensure broken items are wrapped
- Soft plastics that can be scrunched
- Biscuit packets
- Frozen food bags
- Bread bags
- Rice and pasta bags
- Confectionery packets
- Newspaper wrap
- Plastic shopping bags
- Old green bags
What does not go in my garbage bin?
- Oils and liquids
- Building materials
- Large items
- Paints and solvents
- Recyclable products
Visit the A-Z: What goes where? page for help on what to do with waste that cannot go into your bins.
Important collection information
- Ensure that bins are out the night before and are returned to your property within 24 hours of collection.
- Bins left on the road or footpath can go missing during collection day and pose a risk for pedestrians and disrupt traffic. Be a good neighbour and bring your bins in.
- Do not overfill your bin, as this can result in litter being blown out. Make sure that the bin lid can be shut. Overflowing bins will not be collected.
Reporting a lost or stolen bin?
Visit the missing, stolen or damaged bins page for details.
Don't know your collection day?
Visit the find your collection day page.
YOUR SAY INNER WEST
Your Say Inner West website
A community engagement hub for you to get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.
CONNECT WITH US
SERVICES IN YOUR AREA
Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: