Fire and Emergency Services Levy

From 1 July 2017 you will see a new charge on your rates notice

The State Government has changed the way it charges the levy that helps fund our community's fire and emergency services. The levy used to be added on to your insurance. Now the levy is being paid alongside Council rates.

The Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL) is NOT a Council charge. It is a State Government charge.

Previously only insured property owners paid the levy. The State Government says the change means ALL property owners will now contribute to the levy, not just insured property owners. They say most fully-insured residential property owners will be better off, with an average saving of around $47 per year.

Ratepayers who are eligible for a pensioner concession on their rates will be entitled to an annual concession of $50 on the FESL. This will be shown on the July rates notice.

For more information, go to

Frequently asked questions

What is the Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL)?

From 1 July 2017, the State Government will abolish the Emergency Services Levy on insurance policies and replace it with a Fire and Emergency Services Levy (FESL) paid alongside council rates.

The FESL is a State Government charge which contributes funds to support the work of NSW Fire and Rescue, NSW Rural Fire Service, and the NSW State Emergency Service in protecting the community from fire, storms and other natural disasters.

This is NOT a Council rate or charge. It is being levied and collected by Council on behalf of the State Government.

Have I already paid this levy through my insurance?

The amount paid on your insurance is for the period 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2017. The new levy will commence from 1 July 2017.

You should check the amount charged on your Insurance Policy to compare with the new levy on your 2017/2018 rates notice.

How much will the levy be?

There will be a fixed amount plus an amount based on your 2016 land value.

Inner West Council has provided the State Government with your property’s classification. See the NSW Government letter you received with your rates notice for your classification.

From 1 May 2017 there will be a calculator on the Fire and Emergency Services website to assess the amount due.

I don’t agree with my land classification. How can I have this reviewed?

If you think the classification of your property is not correct, you can request a review. Please download, print and complete the appropriate form below:

You can submit your completed form to, or by mail or fax to your local customer service centre.

If you have any further enquiries, please contact Council on (02) 9392 5700.

Can Council assist with a reduction of the levy?

Council is not permitted to reduce the amount of the levy.

Where can I find information about the levy?

The FESL website has a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions about the levy.

You can also contact the State Government for more information:

Not better off with your insurance?

The Office of the Insurance Monitor has been established to ensure savings are passed on to customers.

The Insurance Monitor will set guidelines, undertake investigations, share information with the community and take enforcement action against any insurers not passing on the savings to consumers. Go to


Your Say Inner West website
A community engagement hub for you to get involved in important projects that shape the future of the Inner West.





Follow the links below to find contact details and services in your area: