Activities for Seniors
We offer a number of activities for Seniors living in the Inner West Council area. These activities provide opportunities to keep well, get creative and connect with other like minded people living near you.
Exercise and Well Being
Art and Creativity
Ashfield Seniors Bus Outings
Fitter and Stronger
- Saturdays 9.15am -10.15am
Classes include a warm-up, aerobics, strength exercises, a cool-down and relaxation.
Wednesday from 11am-12pm starting 12 October 2016 for 26 weeks until 5 April 2017.
Join any time
The gym will provide free access for Seniors (55+) and will have a trainer onsite
Open to all levels.
Join any week
137 Victoria Rd, Marrickville
Gentle exercise classes
- Mondays 9.30-10.30 Hannaford Centre, Rozelle $7.50 9810 2536
- Monday 11.30-12.30pm and Wednesday11-12pm Marrickville Town Hall, 9562 0511
- Every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month 11am – 12pm, Tom Foster Community Centre, Newtown, 9335 2153, $6.50 includes transport and lunch.
- Friday 9-10am Annandale Community Centre 9660 2828
Free weekly tai chi classes across the area.
No bookings are required. Wear comfortable clothing and footwear. Take water and a hat. The classes are held outdoors during school terms, not school holidays.
- Mondays 9am-10am Kendrick Park, Tempe
- Tuesday 11.45-12.45 Annandale Community Centre $9 9533 4422
- Thursday 9.30-10.30 Hannaford Community Centre 9810 2536
- Wednesday 10am-1pm Ashfield Park, Ashfield
- Friday 10-11am Exodus Foundation 180 Liverpool Road Ashfield
- Fridays 9am-10am Moreton Park, Lewisham
- Saturdays 9am- 10am Enmore Park, Enmore
Third Wednesday of the month 11am-12pm at Tom Foster Community Centre, Newtown, 9335 2153 $6.50 includes transport and lunch
- Tuesday 8am Enmore Energisers 0415 650 057
- Wednesday 9am Annandale Community Centre 0401 007 705
- Wednesday 9.30am Cooks River 9562 0548
- Thursday 8am - 1pmPortuguese Seniors, Seaview Street Hall, Dulwich Hill
- Thursday 8.30 Marrickville Meanderers 9558 1181
- Thursday 10.30am Dulwich Hill Ramblers 9335 2191
- Ashfield Walking for Pleasure Club
Fortnightly walks 131302 or 02 9006 3700
- Tuesdays 11am-2.30 PCYC Marrickville 9559 7722
- Wednesdays 1.00pm to 3pm Hannaford Centre Rozelle 9810 2536
- Wednesdays 1.30pm to 4pm Ashfield Service Centre 9719 1819
- Thursdays 9.30am to 12.30, Thursday Haberfield Centre 9716 1816
- Thursdays 11am-2.30 PCYC Marrickville 9559 7722
- Tuesdays 8.45-10am Hannaford Centre 9810 2536
- Wednesdays 8.30-10.00am Hannaford Centre 9810 2536
- Wednesday 9.30-10.30am Cadigal Room, Ashfield Aquatic Centre
- Wednesday 11-12.00 Ashfield Service Centre
- First Wednesday of the month 11am -12pm. Tom Foster Community Centre, Newtown 9335 2153 $6.50, includes transport and lunch.
- Tuesdays and Thursdays 11.30am-12.30pm, Yoga To Go, 106-108 Crystal St, Petersham. Cost $7. Phone 9569 0870
Aquatic Centre Seniors’ Programs
- Leichhardt Park Aquatic Centre (LPAC) -
Visit the LPAC website or call 9555 8344
- Annette Kellerman Aquatic Centre, Enmore - Visit the Annette Kellerman Aquatic Centre website or call 9565 1906
Ashfield Aquatic Centre -
Visit the Ashfield Aquatic Centre website or call 9797 8420
Fanny Durack Aquatic Centre - Visit the Fanny Durack Aquatic Centre or call 9550 9145
Every 2nd Monday of the month at 1.15pm at Herb Greedy Hall, 79 Petersham Road, Marrickville. Free. Phone 9335 2191
- Thursdays free creative wellbeing workshops 10am – noon
Annandale Community Centre
79 Johnston Street, Annandale 9367 9104
12 January 2017
Collage Chill out Sessions
19 January 2017
Salsa 4 Seniors
Dance Movement Class for People with Dementia and their Carers
Wednesday 5 October - 23 November Time: 10.30 -11.30 (morning tea included)
All Saints Anglican Church, 325 Stanmore Rd, Petersham (Easy access via adjoining carpark) 9335 2057
Fridays, 12.30pm to 2.30pm, Each term is ten weeks: Term 2 commencing Friday 28 April 2017, Term 3 commencing 17 July 2017, Term 4 commencing 9 October 2017.
Activity Room Civic Centre 260 Liverpool Road Ashfield bookings essential 9716 1819.
Creative craft groups
At the Marrickville library. Visit the Marrickville Library website.
The Balmain Library Knitters
10am - 12 noon on the first and third Friday of each month - 9367 9211
- Two sessions to choose from, every second Monday of each month 1pm - 3pm and 3.30pm - 5.30pm - 9335 2057
Herb Greedy Hall, 79 Petersham Road, Marrickville
Annandale Craft Group
Fridays 11am – 2pm Annandale Community Centre - 9660 2828
Backgammon, scrabble club, chess,cryptic crossword and mahjong at various times in the week
Marrickville library 9335 2173
Commencing shortly in Ashfield in Partnership with a local high school
Please register your interest with Julia 9716 1819 or email email@example.com
Students provide one-on-one computer tuition over a six-week course to seniors. Various schools in Marrickville and tempe on a term basis. To register and find out dates and location 9335 2143
Computer Support activities at Marrickville library has a range of– link to website: http://www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au/en/library/events-at-the-library/regular-activities/craft-clubs/
Get connected - Introductory computer classes
Balmain Library 9367 9211
Leichhardt on 9367 9266
Get Smart Groups
Fortnightly informal group to ask questions and learn new things about your smart phone or tablet
Balmain Library 9367 9211
Leichhardt on 9367 9266
Hannaford Centre Computer Club
Mondays – Fridays 10am-noon - 9810 2536
Free Bus Outings for senior residents who live in the Ashfield area. All of the outings are on a Wednesday and bookings are essential. Bookings are now available through Access Community transport on 02 8241 8000.
If you have questions, other than to book please phone Julia on 02 9719 1819
Songs from Next Door Choir is a seniors' group that meets in Dulwich Hill
Meets every Tuesday from 1pm – 3.30pm Seaview Hall, Dulwich Hill. Gold Coin donation. Ph: 9335 2057
HOPE Luncheons 3rd Wednesday of the month at local restaurants12pm $25 9367 9043
DeCafé, Georgia’s Kitchen for people with dementia and their carers. 2nd Thursday of the month, 10.30am – 12 noon.
527 Illawarra Road, Marrickville 9335 2057 Gold Coin donation
Marrickville feastings meets monthly at local Marrickville restaurants Bookings 95571098
Leichhardt D’Café, Café Gioia, 4th Tuesday of the month 10.30am – 12 noon. 126A Norton Street, Leichhardt
The Not So Young Club meets monthly a presentation is given on a topic of interest to seniors, followed by a light lunch together
4th Wednesday of the month, 11.30am – 1.30pm
Hannaford Centre, 608 Darling Street Rozelle 9367 9043.
The Marrickville Movie Club is at Marrickville Library
Saturday movie matinee
Second Saturday of the month (except September 3rd Saturday) at Marrickville Town Hall meeting room 2.15pm-4pm. No bookings required.
Last Friday of each month at Marrickville Town Hall meeting room 10.15am-12.30pm. No bookings required.
International film club
First Tuesday of each month at Marrickville Town Hall meeting room 10am-1pm. No bookings required.
There are also a range of book clubs
St Peters Gathering meets the first Wednesday of the month 10am – 1pm, St Peters Town Hall 9558 7504
Ashfield Men’s Shed
Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday 10am-12pm
Mary MacKillop Outreach centre at 1-5 Rogers Avenue Haberfield 8752 2500.
Marrickville Men's Shed
Wednesdays and Thursdays, 10–1pm
The Bower, 142 Addison Road Marrickville. 9568 6280
Leichhardt Community Men’s Shed
Tuesdays from 9.30am
Blackmore Oval, Canal Road, Leichhardt 0455 088 943
Inner West Women's Shed
Wednesdays from 12 noon to 3pm
Shed HQ, Seaview Street Hall, 14 Seaview Street, Dulwich Hill (next to the library).
At present these Bus Outings are available to Seniors from Ashfield ward only.
22nd February BALMORAL BEACH – A Mosman attraction with views over Sydney Harbour National Park.
8th March CARSS PARK – A picturesque southern Sydney suburb, featuring water views and bushland surrounds.
22nd March FISHERMAN’S FERRY – Woy Woy. Explore the many natural attractions while enjoy the area’s enviable tranquillity.
12th April ART GALLERY/BARANGAROO/CENTENIAL PARK – Enjoy a tour of cultural highlights of Sydney
26th April MANLY SCENIC WALKWAY/ DAM – Take a fascinating stroll through the Manly Scenic Walkway and relax by the water
10th May AUSTRALIAN PIONEER VILLAGE – Experience a bygone era – $6.00 entry fee
24th May BICENTENNIAL PARK - An important wetland ecosystem and parkland that is part of Sydney Olympic Park.
14th June VAUCLAUSE HOUSE – One of Sydney few 19th century mansions and a great living museum
28th June PLOUGH & HARRAW PARK – A variety of facilities including a café, playground and parkland
12th July COBBITY WINES/EGG FARM-Draws upon 10 hectares of estate plantings and explore customs of wine making.
26th July ARMS OF AUSTRALIA INN - The Inn was first built in 1826, and is one of the oldest buildings in Penrith $3 entry fee
9th August AUBURN BOTANIC GARDENS – Japanese Cherry Blossoms bloom once a year and is a fantastic spectacle.
23rd August NAN TIAN TEMPLE – The largest Buddhist Temple in the southern hemisphere with a lookout to the Wollongong city and beaches
13th September PARRAMATTA LAKE RESERVE - Is the largest bushland remnant surviving in the Parramatta, visit the beautiful parkland
27th September THE ENTRANCE - is a seaside holiday destination and is ideal for short stays, weekend getaways, and family holidays.
8th November KU-RING-GAI & BOBBIN HEAD - Bobbin Head is the perfect waterfront picnic spot. $4.40 per person entry fee
22nd November BROOKLYN – Located in the lower estuarine reaches of the Hawkesbury River makes for a wonderful, scenic and day trip.
6 and 13th December SHELLHARBOUR – A quiet getaway location to relax and enjoy the sand, surf and sunshine.